Basilica of DadizelePrint
Dadizele has been known as a place of pilgrimage since the 15th century. Pilgrims go there to worship the alabaster statue of Our Lady with child.
In 1854 the Vatican proclaimed the dogma of the immaculate conception. To celebrate, Monsignor Malou, bishop of Bruges, wanted to build a monumental church for his entire diocese. Dadizele was the chosen location, and the construction works on the neo-Gothic building commenced in 1857. Pope Leo XIII elevated the church to the status of basilica in 1882, making it the only basilica in the diocese apart from Bruges’ Basilica of the Holy Blood.
The basilica still attracts a lot of pilgrims during the months of May and September.